The Sherwood Valley Band of Pomo Indians is federally recognized Indian
Tribe with inherent powers of self-government since time immemorial. The
Tribal Historic Preservation Office (THPO) works to protect cultural,
historical, archaeological, and sacred sites essential to the survival of
future generations of Sherwood Valley people.
Sherwood Valley Rancheria is located within our aboriginal homelands that we
have used and occupied since time immemorial. Our homeland extends from
approximately from the Hwy 101 corridor, through the Redwood Forests, on to
the Coast. As the original stewards of this land we retain original
usufructary rights to protect the land, air, water, and food sources upon
our homeland. We have freely gathered coastal resources since time
immemorial, and protection of the aboriginal food sources and traditional
gathering places is a fundamental human right.
Sherwood Valley Rancheria was established under Secretarial Order in 1909.
Sherwood Valley is the successor in interest to ownership of the Mendocino
Indian Reservation, established by Act of Congress on March 3, 1853.
Sherwood Valley Rancheria is governed under a Constitution and Bylaws duly
adopted and approved by the Secretary of the Interior on July 25, 1974. The
Sherwood Valley Rancheria Tribal Council, as representatives of individual
tribal members, strives to promote and perpetuate the protection of natural
resources for future generations.